Thursday, August 8, 2013

I've Got Your Back by James C. Galvin - Leadership at its finest!

I have been in leadership roles most of my life.  I also have learned over the years that not one leader is ever perfect or that learning to lead never stops just because you are in a leadership role.  I was given the privilege of reading James C Galvin's "I've Got Your Back."  It takes leadership and the methods of teaching leadership to a whole new level.

In the first half, Galvin uses a parable to show leadership and his methods in action.  If teaching via a parables was good enough for Jesus, I think it is good enough for any teacher to follow.  Jesus knew that most people learn through examples and this method allows the reader to engage with the characters and learn through their experiences how to apply the methods Galvin is teaching.

In the second half, Galvin uses a standard structure of teaching the methods presented in the parable.  By having the parable give real life application, it allows the structured section to be followed with ease.  I think any church would find this book a great teaching tool for a small group study on leadership.  In just a few sessions, a church's leadership could have skills the move their church forward with a strong core of leaders.

I feel blessed to have read this book and look forward to applying its methods.  One of the methods that hit me at the core was following a leader who was failing.  The idea of "helping" that leader succeed was difficult to swallow at first, but I felt God tugging hard at my heart and him leading me to understand that not all leaders are born leaders and that other leaders may have to come behind them to push them forward to be successful.  Rarely are there leaders who don't really care to improve and so leaders don't realize they are not succeeding.  Regardless of where the leader is, to be a real leader yourself, you first need to learn to follow and sometimes that means helping a failing leader be successful.  Ultimately, we should put our selfish nature behind us and help those in leadership around us to success, because its to God be the glory!


 

No comments: