Monday, February 13, 2012

Crochet

Back in about October a friend of mine taught me the starters of crocheting. Jacoba has wanted to learn how to crochet ever since she was about 3 or 4. She saw my aunt crocheting and she wanted to learn right than. My aunt showed her a few things, but she was 3 or 4 and could not sit still long enough for a full lesson. Plus she did not have any hooks at home to continue learning. Being that I am a homemaker now and you can only clean your house so much and honestly, TV is way to boring, I decided to pick up this new hobby.

My friend started me out making a pot holder. It was pretty cool because after a few hours I had a completed project. Yes, I said a few hours. As a beginner I am WAY slow, but it is fun and it fills my time, so I don't mind. So, once I learned how to make the pot holder I decided to make a bunch of them for Christmas presents. They were a big hit! Since I had the pot holder down pretty good, I decided to try a make something else. On one of my skeins of yarn there was an easy pattern for wash clothes. Ideal, I could give pot holders and wash clothes away as presents together.

First Crocheted Pot Holder



The pot holders I made for myself after all the Christmas pot holders.



Wash Clothes




From there I realized that I had yet to find a scarf for Jacoba. She is always cold and needed a scarf. I searched and searched for an easy pattern and finally came across one that actually have a video to go with it. Jacoba loves the scarf I made her. I also made scarves for my step-son and step-daughter. They live in Tennessee, so they probably don't need the often, but I did it anyways for the practice.

Jacoba's Scarf


Scarf I made for Matthew, its now Jason's because it did not match his coat. I ended up making him a new before we took the kids home.



From there I got a little brave. I decided to take on a baby blanket. My brother's girlfriend is a grandma, so I decided to make the blanket for her granddaughter for Christmas. I guess you could call Kami my great niece. Well Kami was going to be 9 months at Christmas, so decided to make a baby blanket, but make it more like a toddler blanket so she could have it for awhile. Kardeigh, her mom, loved the blanket. It took me way longer than any of my other projects, but it was worth it. I wish I had pictures of the finished blanket, since it was my first, but I forgot. I guess in the future I will have to make sure to take pictures and save them for later, even if they are gifts.

About two weeks ago I decided to start making my step-daughters afghan for her recently painted room. I can only work so long on an afghan because they take awhile, especially the size I am making it. It is going to be an afghan for a full size bed. Its a work in progress. I would say at the moment I am about 2/3 of the way done with it.

Chelsea's Afghan in Progress



I took a break from the above afghan and moved on to a few other projects. I made a few things that I will post at a later date. They are a gift, so I don't want to put them up until I give them away. Once those items are done, I will go back to the afghan.

No comments: