Monday, March 5, 2012

Mending

So after a week of illness in our home I think we are finally on the mend. Two weeks ago Jacoba started with a mild cough. Honestly, it seemed like her allergy cough she gets when her allergy meds are either not being taken or they are no longer working. This winter did not give her a cooling off period, since we have not had a traditional winter by Mid-West standards. The stuff that would normally die because of the deep freeze has not died because it really has not frozen! Great for those without allergies, not so great for those with allergies who look forward to the winter months and not having to suffer! So anyways, Jacoba started coughing back in December so we put her back on her cingulair to help get her back on track. All was good until about two weeks ago. Of course, the up and down of the temps does not help with her allergies either. It was not until she had the cough for a week that it became noticeable different. At that point she woke up last Sunday saying her belly was upset and of course that meant no church for mom. Later that day she started to run a fever. Monday I took her to the doctor because she still had the mild fever and the cough had gotten much worse. For those of you that may not no Jacoba had strep throat 5 times last year followed up with getting her tonsils out. The five times was in five months. She missed 32 days of school in all with all that sickness! So, when the nurse said, "Oh, well we will get a culture for strep and go from there." I laughed! I said well, I know its possible for her to still get strep, but we did get her tonsils taken out last year because of strep and she has not had any issues since. She smiled and walked out. Needless to say a culture later, we find out Jacoba has strep again! As Jacoba's doctor so lovingly put it, because of her allergies she has all those boogers in there and the drainage going on that just make her vulnerable to strep. So, he added yet another allergy med to her regiment, only to be given for a few weeks at a time when her cough seems to come back and than we can stop it once things mellow out. If the allergens are high than she has the added med, but try not to use all the time he suggest. Luckily she has spring break in a couple weeks and I can take her to get her allergy blood draw to see exactly what she is allergic too. Honestly, it would be nice to get her the allergy shots, but the kid is deathly afraid of needless, so I think we are a few years off from that.

Jacoba seemed to be on the mend and sure enough, I got sick. I did not get strep like her, but I think I would have preferred it. I had the whole body aches, cough, fever just leave me alone feeling! I was really lucky though. Thursday I felt the worst and Jason was actually asked if he wanted to go home since they had too many workers that day. He came home and I slept the day away. I obviously need the rest. Jacoba's cough is pretty much gone and mine is getting better. Thankfully God saw fit for me to be well enough to be in church yesterday. I missed all of my church family and being able to worship with them!

No comments: